Monday, March 30, 2015

GRUDEM - PREFACE- CHAPTER 1- INTRODUCTION TO SYSTEMATIC THEOLOGY

I thank God for giving me this desire in my heart to read this book. I have a plan to read it front to back, every page and I pray God gives me understanding and knowledge, and application.

Systematic theology answers the question, "What does the whole bible teach us today?" It's a collective understanding of various topics and what we believe. It is NOT historical, philosophical, or apologetics, (providing a defense of the truthfulness of the Christian faith for the purpose of convincing the unbelievers) yet it is closely related. It answers "What does the bible teach us today about prayer?" - The Bible says that everyone who believes in Jesus Christ will be saved. - A DOCTRINE is what the whole bible teaches us today about some particular topic. i.e., the doctrine of the Word of God, or the doctrine of the Church.

Christian ethics, on the other hand- are what God wants us to do and what attitudes he wants us to have, compared to systematic theology, being what God wants us to BELIEVE and to KNOW. Theology tells us how we should THINK while ethics tells us how we should LIVE.

I'm reading this book believing that the bible is true and it is our only absolute standard of truth and that God is the Creator of heaven and earth and all things in them. I'm studying this so that I will be enabled to teach myself and others what the whole bible says, to overcome wrong ideas, to help me be able to make better decisions, and to help me grow as a follower of Jesus Christ. I pray that you give me wisdom and understanding of scripture God. Psalm 119:18 "Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things our of your law." God's words are not only true individually but also together as a whole. "For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be the glory forever. Amen." Romans 11:36.

O for a thousand tongues to sing
My great Redeemer's praise,
The glories of my God and King,
The triumphs of His grace.


No comments:

Post a Comment